Monday, July 25, 2016

Strength Training For Runners: Quick Core Workout

Full disclosure here:  I am completely muddling through my second half marathon training.  I don't feel nearly as committed as I did for the first one.  It doesn't help that I've been plagued by everything except the plague:  Poison Ivy, pink eye, bulging disc in my lower back, a never ending cramp in my left foot and endless stomach issues.  Just name it and I've got it these days.

I have managed to keep up with my strength training circuits though.  Yay for something going right!  The circuit I worked on this week from the Train Like a Mother Club was the Super Short Strength Circuit 3 which highlights a lot of quick ab work.  A strong core is essential for runners because strong abs increase the stability of your hips, pelvis, and even your knees during running. The result is less strain on your muscles and connective tissues and consequently less chance of injury. Also, by minimizing wasteful movement at the joints, strong abs make your stride more efficient, so you can run faster, longer.

So what are you waiting for?  Burn, baby, burn!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love quick and easy circuit workouts. I am horribly bad about strength/cross-training these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm the same way. I just don't have the time and energy between work and family life.

      Delete