Thursday, May 26, 2016

Global Running Day!

I linked up with Jonesin' for a Run to answer some questions about Global Running Day! Because if there is one thing us runners like to do just as much as running it is talking about running.


Why do you run?

The short answer is I run for my health.

Before I started running I had gained 80 pounds during my pregnancy.  I lost 25 of it quickly, but the other 55 pounds stuck around for over 2 years.  When, during a routine physical, my doctor discovered high levels of inflammation in my blood I knew something had to change.  I had been experiencing migraines, intense shoulder and neck pain and excruciating stomach pains. It took a few months but I was ultimately diagnosed with leaky gut.  Prior to this diagnosis I had made small changes like cutting out soda and coffee, increasing my water intake to a gallon a day, practicing intermittent fasting and following a high fat, low carb diet.  It wasn't enough.  Over July 4th weekend 2015 I finally jumped on my neighbor's old treadmill that she said I could have and slowly jogged a mile.

I was overjoyed!  I was the fat kid in school and never ran a mile without stopping before in my life.  I averaged a 15 minute mile pace but I didn't care.  Besides, I didn't really know what pace meant back then anyway.  It wasn't too long before I was "training" for my first 5K.  Less than a year later I've completed 9 races including a half marathon.   


How do you plan to celebrate National Running Day?

I think this one is self-explanatory. I'll be running.


How many miles have you run so far this year? Do you have a mileage goal for the year?

Honestly, I have no idea. I made it a goal to keep track starting at the beginning of the year with the goal of hitting 750, but to me it is just one more thing to do and I don't care that much about tallying it all up.
What big events do you have on the race calendar so far this year?

Well, I just completed my first half marathon on May 15. I didn't run it as well as I knew as I could so I didn't know if I would do another one in the fall, but after 3 days I signed up for the Smuttynose Rockfest Half Marathon in October.



Before I leave for a run I must have: 

Oh lord, where do I start? I'm a very ritualistic person and because of all of my health issues there is a lot of prep work I have to do before going for a run. I even blogged about it HERE.

Do you track your runs? If so what do you use?

I use a Garmin Forerunner 620 that my husband purchased for me for my last birthday.
Who is your favorite running partner?

My friend, Ang. She's been running forever and ran her first marathon in the fall. I was so proud!
What races have you run so far this year?

  • Lowell First Run 10K
  • Snowflake Shuffle 3 Miles
  • Fat Tuesday 5K
  • Shamrock Shuffle 2 Miler
  • Northshore 10 Miler
  • Cinco de Miles 5K
  • Gate City Half Marathon
  • Boston's Run to Remember 5 Miler
Up Next:

If you have to give someone one piece of advice about running, what would it be?

Start small by setting small, short and achievable goals. Then, go buy yourself some nice running shoes. Talk to your running friends and find a store that does professional fittings. Your feet and legs will thank you.
Me after the first time I ever ran a mile without stopping.  Took me 15 minutes.  I was proud.  



Describe your relationship with running in one word:  

Lifesaving

Follow me Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

10 comments:

  1. Hey! Joining from the Jonesin for a Run linkup :) I love the story about running your first mile--I had forgotten about that experience for me! Great advice about the running shoes; I had no idea when I started and finding the right ones is so important.
    P.S. The name of your next half made me laugh! Happy Running Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Sometimes it is still hard for me to believe how far I've come since running that first mile. I ran a 5 mile race yesterday and I told everyone, "Its JUST 5 miles." Who am I? Smuttynose is the name of a NH beer. It's really good!

      Delete
  2. What a great story about how you got started, such an inspiration. I want to run Rockfest next year, have heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get to run it. I'm looking forward to "flat and fast."

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on all of your races and achievements! Loved reading your interview! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fun to read about others relationship to running! I agree with you on the running shoes, that was my answer to the question. Running shoes make all the difference! Have fun on your run tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm seriously considering giving up on my Mizunos and going back to Brooks. I think they are just too heavy for my ankles. I'm afraid to run more than 5 miles in them because of the pain.

      Delete
  5. Loooove these linkups! :) Loved reading your interview - dang, you've done so many runs already this year, girl! So awesome! I can't wait to get back into a race schedule like that!
    I also loved reading your bio - I recognized myself a lot in it ... gained a lot of weight during my pregnancies and realized one day that I was not happy with myself. At all. Decided to make a change and started running. Haven't been able to cut the soda yet, but I'm trying. :) Followed you on Bloglovin so I can keep up with your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Pregnancy weight is a bitch. I had unfortunately had to give up the soda because of my leaky gut. Those flareups are no joke. Thanks for following me. I followed you back.

      Delete