Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Half Marathon Training Week 4 Recap: Birthday Week

I'm not going to lie and try to make this week sound better than it was. It sucked. My training plan was fairly easy and thankful so because my birthday fell on the Thursday of this week so I was mopey. Yes, mopey is the only word that truly captures how I felt. I had Impending Birthday Doom. I definitely was not looking forward to it. If I could have curled up in a ball eating chips and mac and cheese all week I would have. Instead, I did the bare minimum I needed to get my training done and indulged in beer, wine, birthday cake and Chinese food!  

Just a note, I did switch things up a bit on my training plan to fit my family's schedule better this week.  I'd rather get it done just on different days than not at all.  

Monday

Stayed home with a sick kiddo today, but I decided to get in a 6 mile run once my husband got home so I didn't have to wake up at 4 am tomorrow to run 7 miles. I was exhausted and my stomach hurt, but I found the drive to get it done. I'm glad I did because I felt so much better afterwards.


Tuesday

I switched up Monday and Tuesday's workout on the plan.  Tuesday ended up being a rest day with a Super Short Strength Circuit (SSSC) to work my triceps and core.  I really wasn't into these set of moves this week.

Wednesday

Wednesday should have been a fun workout with SSSC, but the fun never happened.  I honestly can't remember what I did instead, probably just made dinner and cuddled on the couch.  Remember, I wasn't really feeling it this week. 

Thursday - My Birthday!  Yay? 

My birthday AND I get to run INTERVALS.  YAY!  I decided to spend the first day of my 38th year circling the sun by getting up at 4:30 am to get this done.  I won't lie - I originally got back into bed, but after 30 seconds or so I had guilt tripped myself into getting up again to run.  

According to my plan I had to do a 10 minute warm up, Then 3 rotations of 1 minute in zone 4-5 with a 2 minute recovery then 2 minutes in zone 4-5 with a 2 minute recovery.  Cool down was 10 minutes.  

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be and I was happy to get it done.  It gave me enough energy to get through the day which ended in beer and birthday cake.  


Friday

I took Friday off from work for my birthday and so Scarlett and I could get our physical exams done for the year.  I did manage to squeeze in a 3 mile run (was supposed to be 4) before we left.  It was hard fought and I'm pretty sure I sweated out all of my beer from the night before.  There was really nothing easy about it, but again I was just happy to get something done.

Saturday

Today was supposed to be my long run day, but since Sunday was supposed to be the nicer of the 2 days I switched it.  Instead we all took a 1 mile family walk around the neighborhood to enjoy the Spring-like weather.

Sunday (Long Runday)

The day was finally here!  It was time to get my 7 mile long run done.  Before my run I made sure to stretch out my calves because they have been so tight lately.  It felt good to stretch and I was hoping they would hold up for this run.  I headed out around mid-morning hoping the weather would be just perfect.  I bought a runner's water bottle, you know the kind that straps to your hand, and tried it out for the first time.  I was irritated with it after the first mile so I dropped it at home.  By mile 4 I had regretted that decision and had to stop home for a drink.  I just needed enough to wet my whistle.  

Overall, this run was just OK.  I felt dehydrated, and my stomach was really unhappy.  Hell, even my allergies were bugging me.  My calves stayed sore for most of the run.  I still managed to make pretty good time all things considered.  

I'm definitely going to have to figure out something to eat at mile 6 besides raisins.  I haven't perfected how to eat them while running and without dropping them all over the ground.  I do have an idea that I am working on and it involves my fat bomb!  Stay tuned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment