Monday, February 15, 2016

Bulletproof Tea (or Coffee) and Why I Love It!

I decided to try bulletproof tea (coffee hurts my stomach) about 5 weeks ago when I did an egg fast diet for a week.  It was a suggestion as part of the diet and I wanted to do everything it entailed to experience its full effect.  I was a skeptic about bulletproof anything for a long time, but after my first sip I was a believer.

Some of the benefits of bulletproof tea/coffee:
  • It keeps you fuller longer.  
  • It allows you to feel full, yet remain in a fasted state for a longer amount of time.  It doesn't affect your fasting metabolism.  This is especially important if you practice intermittent fasting.
Some of the benefits of drinking green tea:
  • Lowers cholesterol
  • Increases blood flow
  • Prevents high blood pressure
  • Prevents congestive heart failure 
  • Blocks the formation of plaques that are linked to Alzheimer's.  


My bulletproof green tea recipe:


Ingredients

  • 1.5 cups of steeped green tea (I honestly use a generic brand)
  • 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter (I use Finlandia), softened 
  • 1 tablespoon or more of coconut oil (I prefer this over MCT oil)
  • Few sprinkles of Pink Himalayan salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of Stevia

Directions

Simply mix all of the above ingredients in the blender for at least 30 seconds and then serve hot in your favorite mug.  

Feel free to adjust the above ingredients based on taste.  I find I don't have time to measure everything out in the morning so I just eyeball it and I've learned how to adjust it based on my personal preference.  

The reason I prefer coconut oil over MCT oil is simply because I believe the coconut oil makes this drink nice and frothy.  I find the MCT oil just lets the butter fall to the bottom like a glob and then you miss out on all the fat content of the butter (remember fat is good for you).





2 comments:

  1. Interesting, not sure I'm up for that just yet. I recently gave up having a pop tart every morning for oatmeal. It's been 3 weeks...

    Great post.

    Brian
    @cledawgs on Twitter and briansrunningadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is the oatmeal working out for you? I've run out of some of the main ingredients to make this so for the first time in over a year I've had just regular green tea. I can definitely only handle 14 hours fasting as opposed to 16. If I was training right now I wouldn't make it to 14 I think so the fat in this helps to make you feel full for sure.

      Delete